Musings and laughter at the Richmond web / media agency copeland casati media C3.
- January 2009
- February 2009
- March 2009
- April 2009
- June 2009
- July 2009
- August 2009
- September 2009
- October 2009
- November 2009
- December 2009
- January 2010
- February 2010
- March 2010
- April 2010
- June 2010
- August 2010
- September 2010
- October 2010
- November 2010
- December 2010
- January 2011
- February 2011
- March 2011
- April 2011
- June 2011
- July 2011
- September 2011
- January 2012
- September 2012
- February 2013
- April 2013
- July 2013
- August 2013
- January 2014
- March 2014
- April 2014
Social Media Is A BubbleYesterday, Umair Haque asserted on Harvard Business Review that Social Media Is A Bubble: http://blogs.hbr.org/haque/2010/03/the_social_media_bubble.html
Bud Caddell's responded:
@bud_caddell: is social media a bubble? my response to @umairh's post from the HBR blog, http://bit.ly/b2ME5X
Both articles make valid points.
They don't surprise me so, because it just reflects the levels and degrees we all encounter in "real life." You can take the Pokemon approach and try to be the popular kid collecting large numbers of friends, yet not focus on deep relationships; you can also be the kid, maybe a bit quiet, who has a few, close friends who appreciate all their odd quirks and will be there for a lifetime.
Both are fine...
But for business, it's always good to keep yourself out there, to be open, and sometimes the bonus is the unexpected personal reward for doing so: friends.
And yes, I mean "friends in real life met through internet tools."
I'm about to go through a pull back of public sharing. No reason, just... I'm in the mood to do so. It's that season and cycle again.
But sensing that, I also reflect on the real friends who are a real part of my life that I met PURELY through social media / online tools.
Think of our real friends in rural Pamplin: In a town with a population of 199, I would say, if I had to guess, that 95% of the people we've met were through the internet.
In New York, I have professional people in my field I would like to get to know that I've encountered purely through social media that I suspect could touch my life on a more real life, personal level. Through social media, I've gotten to know their merit, but also their humor and personality.
That's a lot of real life enhancement, a lot of real community, thanks to the internet / social media... Bubble? Maybe, but isn't everything?
C3 Richmond: Legal Wranglin' On The Internet And Rickrollin' In Real Life This Week.http://bit.ly/bNqY6L
My friend Rickrolled 'em.
Here's some other internet notes, lots of 'em legal, from the week:
- EU Tells Google to Delete Street View Pics After 6 Months - http://bit.ly/aCW082
- Make your corporate web sites relevant... again: http://www.web-strategist.com/blog/2010/03/01/roadmap-make-your-corporate-websites-relevant-integrate-social-network-features/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WebStrategyByJeremiah+%28Web+Strategy+by+Jeremiah%29&utm_content=Bloglines
- Another good recent example, a reminder to.. Think Before You Tweet (And Email, And Blabber At A Cocktail Party, And...) http://www.newcommbiz.com/think-before-you-tweet-the-do-not-tweet-list/
- Facebook Marketing in 2010: Promotion without Paying $10,000 Per Month http://hilinskyconsulting.com/blog/2010/02/25/promotions-on-facebook-in-2010-how-to-save-10000-per-month/
"As Facebook continues to grow beyond it’s current 400+ million worldwide users, it’s inevitable that the social platform will continue to solidify it’s efforts to monetize and ensure it’s future sustainability. Developers and marketing agencies were notified that starting November 2009, some big changes were in the pipeline.. new rules, new app specs and a new corporate attitude."
- Now if Facebook is patenting feed, did Google just patent geo-targeting? Oh the legalities that will certainly emerge this year! Has Google Just Patented Geo-Targeting?
- Wait! Here comes Apple! The 20 patents in question from the Apple-HTC suit: http://bit.ly/d20pGl
Thanks for listening…
I'm Copeland Casati, of Copeland Casati Media,
the original C3 in Richmond creative arts and media since 1999.
You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or on twitter, @copelandcasati.
Facebook Twitter Google Profile Posterous